19 Jun Yoga for the Neck and Shoulders
We often carry a lot of stress in the general area of the neck and the shoulders. All this tension can cause physical pain at the end of our day. This mini YouTube yoga routine can help ease the tension in neck and shoulders. Its a relaxing routine that can be done just before bed at night! Try it out tonight 🙂
- Neck Release – lightly place hand on the opposite side of head, and allow the weight of your hand to stretch the side of the neck. Hold for 3 breaths, and repeat on other side. Roll head after and shake it out.
- Cow Face Arms – reach the left arm over the head, bending the elbow. Reach the right arm behind the back and, using a strap if needed, reach for the opposite hand. Hold for three breaths and repeat on other side.
- Cat – inhale to extend the chest forward, lifting your gaze.
- Cow – exhale to curl the body inwards, tucking your chine. Repeat this Cat/Cow series 3-5 times.
- Puppy Pose – much like Child’s Pose. Extend the arms out, but instead of sitting on the legs, stack the hips over the knees. Hold for a few breaths.
- Thread the Needle – in Puppy Pose, now thread the right arm underneath the left arm bit and extend outwards. Feel the stretch in your right shoulder blade. Hold for 3 breaths and repeat on other side.
- Plank – lift the body off the ground, keeping hips in the same line as the shoulders to ankles. If you feel you are straight, lower the hips down slightly, usually we are up higher than we think!
- Up Dog – lower the body to the floor. Press into the palms and lift your chest hips and thighs off the ground, so only the tops of your feet are touching the floor. Hold for a few breaths and gaze to the horizon.